no writer

I am no writer, but a great feeler,,, I say so because everything I write does come straight from my heart.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Bookfair Diaries

Well, it's over. Today was the last day of OMF Literature i.read summer bookfair and here's something i thought would be really cool to keep along with me in my first bookfair volunteering adventure.


strangers that left marks in my heart


Manong was in his 40s. He visited us on our first day and asked for a cheap Cebuano bible. I showed him one that was worth 145 pesos. He scanned the book and told me he was coming back on the last day. True and thoughtful enough to his words, he surprised me when he came back today. He was all smiles because I remembered his face.
"Nong, paliton na jud nimu karun? Maayu kay nakabalik jud ka." (translation) "So, manong, are you buying your Bible today? It's great that you came back." He shyly nodded and asked if the price can still be lowered. Well, whether it was lowered or not, he was still willing to buy. 
After I handed a plastic bag with his new Bible, he told me he was staying in the hospital right beside the mall. I wasn't sure if he worked there or if he was attending to someone else. The only thing I was sure of : I said a prayer for him.


Since Robinsons's Cybergate is beside Chong Hua Hospital, we were expectant to have nurses and doctors browsing and checking our books.And yes, for 5 days, I think I sold more than 10 bibles of different styles, covers and translations. These were some of the proud buyers and owners I encountered:


a woman in her 30s who is leaving for Saudi


A nurse who lost her Bible and needed a replacement


another nurse who wanted  a new Bible


an office worker bought  a present for her Mom on her birthday


a nursing student who was reviewing for her exams


a mother who wanted  a gift for her teenage daughter


lovers who gave Bibles as gifts to each other


a single young professional who wanted a Bible for herself


(there's more stories to tell...)

1 comment:

  1. Sweet lovers, huh.:) I love how you put faces and stories behind those that buy Bibles and yes, books. Love this, teach!

    ReplyDelete